How to Print Extra Large Hollow Letters from a Word Document



One of the most frustrating aspects of developing attractive bulletin boards is finding just the right letters to make the board special. Yes, most schools do offer die-cut machines, but you are limited to just a few fonts and sizes. I work in a youth detention facility, so my resources are limited and there are no die-cut machines unless I go to the local school system's resource center.

One technique I use is to print my captions from a word document in an extra-large font. Here are the steps I use:

Step 1: 
I open a new document and type my caption using the default font and size. This way I can see my typing and make any edits before I super-size the letters.

Step 2:
In my top menu, I click on select all. This will highlight every letter in my caption so that the steps I do after this will apply to every letter.

Step 3:
Choose the outline function from the top menu


Step 4: 
I use the drop down menus to get to the line size function. This is controlled by point values. I usually increase it to 10 so that my line is thick enough to use as a cutting guide. Click on outline, then weight, then more lines, then width, use up arrow to get to 10 pt.


Step 5:
While in this box, change the color of the outline from the default of blue to black.


Step 6:
I usually get rid of the shadow effect since I plan to cut out the letters. To do this, I go up to the shadow icon in this same box. When I click on it, another drop-down menu comes up. I slide all the choices to the left to get rid of the shadow.


Step 7: 
The next thing I do is select my font and size. I Make sure I still have "select all" in effect so that it changes every letter in my caption. In order to get one letter per page, I choose a size between 450 and 500. The drop-down menu only goes to 72, BUT I can highlight the numbers in the box and type in larger sizes up to 999. Once I have selected this, I scroll through my caption pages adding spaces where needed so that each letter is on its own page. CAUTION - the letters M and W are very wide and in some fonts, I reduce their size to about 50 points less than the other letters to make them fit.


Step 8:
I change my margins. Go to Layout in the menu bar. click on margins, choose narrow margins. I usually print my letters using the portrait layout.

Step 9:
I Print my letters. They should be hollow as long as the center shows white in my font. This allows me to express a lot of creativity.

Below are some ideas to try:

Before Cutting Out
  • Print them on adult coloring pages and have your students color them in before you cut them out.
  • Print them on colored paper or tag-board.
  • Print them on pages torn out of an old dictionary or other worn-out book
  • Cut to the size of copy paper or color-copy magazine pages, old maps, or wall paper remnants and print your letters on them.
  • Print them on sheet music, newspaper, restaurant menus, etc.
  • Make a collage of ticket stubs, photos, and memorabilia by laying the items on the window of the copy machine and making a copy. Use the copy to print your letters.


After Cutting Out












What tips and tricks do you have for making your own large-size letters without a die-cut machine?
Share your ideas, we would love to heart them!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Quick and Easy Bulletin Boards

My Thoughts on Teachers Sharing Products They Buy from Me